Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lima Bean Wreath

 So...I came across this Lima Bean Tutorial a couple of weeks ago and thought it was super cute! I've been meaning to get  a new wreath on our door for the longest time! But I could never find the "right" one.
Best part about having a painted door is it adds SO much to your curb appeal.
Bad part. Trying to add decor around it stinks! :-/

So it's taken me awhile to figure out what to do.

 Here's what I came up with!

 I grabbed:
A foam wreath- $7 (so wish I had a coupon!)
2 bags of large Lima Beans- $1.25 each
(ended up using 1 1/2 of the bags)
Loads of Hot glue sticks (already had them)
Rustoleum Almond color spray paint- $5
(love this color! I have tons left over still!)
Wooden Letter "A" - $1
 Vinyl (already had)
Black felt (already had)
Staple gun (already had)
Ribbon (already had)
And I used my strong adhesive to attached the letter "A" to the beans...

Then I whipped it all together like so...
















Adding the beans is the longest part of the process...
so I did it while catching up on America's Got Talent! ;-)
I started on the inside and filled in completely.






















Then I did the outer edge...

















Then I just started hot gluing them on however they would go.
I stuck with more of a pattern. But, it looks super cute too if you just stick them on however!






Sealed the whole wreath with Rustoleum's Almond color Gloss Protector so the the weather wouldn't hurt it.
And let it dry overnight.


















Painted my letter "A"  black and added a vinyl scroll on top of it that I cut out with my cricut...

*TA-DA* Love it!!! Way super easy!






















Hot glued felt to the back of it so it wouldn't hurt the door

















And then used my heavy duty staple gun to attach ribbon to the back
(This is kinda a must! :-/ The first time I just hot glued my ribbon on...from the weight of the beans it wouldn't hold with just glue!)

















 Here's the final product!
I absolutely love it! :-)




























Our front stoop finally looks complete! Yay! ;-) lol

Courtney

4 comments:

Molly said...

Cute!! I wish I had the energy like you to actually do some of the crafts I see. I always tell myself, "When ALL my kids are in school!" haha.

Courtney Adkins said...

Molly, If I had 3 kids I'd be saying the same thing too! lol

Katie said...

very pretty! i love how it looks on your door, all of the colors work perfectly together :) oh how i love the fall!

kaite@little things bring smiles

Courtney Adkins said...

Thanks Katie! Fall my favorite season! ;-) Love your blog btw!